Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year !!!

Happy New Year everyone! Did everyone have some black eyed peas & collard/turnip greens on New Years Day ? I wanted some black eyed peas, but not really a greens fan. Maybe a substitute of some boiled cabbage.... Either way, I didn't fix any of that. I always heard when I was growing up that you were supposed to eat both on New Years day: the greens represented money & the black eyed peas represented change. And that if you did eat these things, you'd have plenty of both. Maybe this is why I have no money :-)

Today I want to tell you about a different lasagna- an onion lasagna. I had to "tweek" the original recipe, because I didn't want it to be overwhelming onion. My husband is not an onion fan , so I had to make it a little different. I will give you the original recipe, and put in parenthesis what I did different....

Onion Lasagna-

You'll need: 1 pound ground beef ( i use lean ground beef), 1 jar roasted garlic parmesan spaghetti sauce (i used regular four cheese sauce), 1 egg, 1 cup 4 % cottage cheese, 1 cup French onion dip, 1 jar Italian Sausage & garlic spaghetti sauce , 12 no-cook lasagna noodles (Barilla makes these), 3 cups mozzarella cheese (I used half mozzarella/ half cheddar). I added some mushrooms to it also for an extra "something".

**In a Dutch oven , cook beef until no longer pink ; drain. Stir in the roasted garlic parmesan spaghetti sauce. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese & onion dip.
Spread 1 cup of the Italian sausage & garlic sauce into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Top with four noodles. Layer with half of cottage cheese mixture, half of beef mixture, and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce, & cheese.
Cover & bake at 375 degrees for 50 min. Then uncover & bake for 5-10 min. longer or until cheese has melted. Let stand for 15 min. before cutting. This recipe makes 12 servings. Excellent with some garlic bread :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment