Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hoppin' John Chowder

Well, Christmas is almost here. I know I am ready- are you ? Only 3 more entrees for slow cooker month :-) Don't get me wrong- I LOVE slow cookers- but I have SO many other kinds of recipes to share with you !! Oh- and please leave comments- I LOVE comments! It actually lets me know that someone is actually reading this blog ! LOL :-)
This is a recipe I fixed one year for a Super Bowl gathering at our house (Christy & Melanie- you probably remember this!). I loved it, husband didn't like it so much- but he is a picky eater! You be the judge.....

Hoppin' John Chowder-
You'll need :
4 (15.8 oz ) cans black eyed peas (undrained), 2 (10 oz) cans of Rotel undrained (diced tomatoes & chilies- you can find it in with the canned veggies) , 1 (14 oz) can beef broth, 1 pound of smoked sausage (sliced), 1 cup water, 1 cup finely chopped onion, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 boil-in-bag rice (uncooked).

** Combine all ingredients except rice in slow cooker. Cover & cook on low for 6 hours. Then cut top off boil-in-bag rice , add rice into slow cooker & stir. Cover & cook on high for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment